Fire breaks out on roof of Whitemarsh Island Walmart


ByWTOC Staff|February 17, 2021 at 5:41 AM EST - Updated February 17 at 5:41 AM

CHATHAM CO., Ga. (WTOC) - Chatham Emergency Services put out a fire at the Walmart on Whitemarsh Island overnight.

Around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, CES posted on Facebook about the incident. They say Walmart employees heard a loud boom and saw the air handler on the roof had caught on fire. The building was evacuated and fire crews were able to put the fire out quickly.

There is no word yet on if the store will re-open Wednesday.

Copyright 2021 WTOC. All rights reserved.

Photo: Chatham Emergency Services